Thursday, January 14, 2010

Missionary Letter 13 Jan 2010

hello :)
Yep. Made it. I now have an apartment, with me and my companion Elder Quiroz. He's a great (apparently legendary in the Alabama Mission) missionary. He's from Bolivia, the ONLY native out here in the mission. Haha! I scored. But he does speak very good English because he moved to California for college and learned english in an ESL class. He's still learning, but from the way he speaks and knows so much slang, you'd guess he's been here for about 5 years or more.

This whole missionary thing is HARD. It is so tiring. In the MTC it was nothing like what it is out here. Yes, we are driving (I actually drove the last two days because ELder Quiroz was sick and could not really focus on driving) and yes, it is definitely cold here. I'm scared to say I wish the cold would go away, because I know what's not cold in Alabama. Very hot.

So, the first day I got to Montgomery, which is the city where I'm serving in, we had two appointments. One with a someone who has never talked with missionaries before, and another one who kinda has. Luckily, the first appointment was in ENGLISH. He's such a good guy. He actually came to church with us on Sunday; he said he liked it and would come again next week! how awesome. 2 Timothy 1:7 I believe talks about how things of God are calm and good-feeling. yyyyyeah.

It has been kind of stressful for me here. It's difficult with the language. We teach a lot. The funniest part though is door-contacting. Because no matter what you say, as long as you make known you are a missionary of the church they will almost always let you in. So, basically everytime you ask someone if you can teach them, they either say "Yeah come in right now" or "Now is not the best time" and you can get their information.


So lemme tell you all a little about Alabama. Or, at least Montgomery which I'm apart of. Yes, the rumors are true. Crimson Tide is a HUGE thing here. Funny story: I was allowed to watch the game. Even funnier: watched it at the Bishop's house. Which was a great opportunity for me to get to know him and his family. I think they like me. I just don't think he has enough confidence in me as a missionary quite yet. But, I still have time for that. It's only been one week. He is a superb guy though. Very nice and very missionary minded. Well anyways, about Alabama- It's relatively flat, with small hills here and there. It's nice, not too loud.

The ward is nice. There's only about 3 Hispanic members, so we're trying to build a branch. We do hold a separate Sacrament meeting in the Relief Society room. I had to give a talk on Sunday... about Nephi and Lehi haha. It was kinda short though because they told me about an hour before and my Spanish is not the best. But I did it anyways. Read a couple of scriptures and stuff. It went alright.
So yeah, that's my stay here in Alabama so far. Haven't eatin much southern food except maybe once at a buffet. I don't even know if I've been eating. I don't remember. Yesterday we had Hamburger Helper for lunch and dinner. And a microwavable burrito. and cereal for breakfast every morning. Oh, we had some pretty good Mexican food the other day.... Yeah haha. I should work on that. But every morning there is time to exercise, which is difficult in itself, because I'm tired allll the time. But I try to get it done. Plus, I know at the end of the day, I can go to a nice and pretty comfortable bed. I really like my bed.

Love you all, and can't wait to hear from you all.

K, I'm hungry. Maybe we'll go out and have some hearty "Hardee's" (which is Carl's Jr for us).

Abrazo,
Elder Chow

No comments: