Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom

This is a poem written by a member of our ward in Bismarck, North Dakota, Brother Wal Habib, that he wrote about my mom. Brother Habib had told me a memory he had about Mom, and so, I asked him if he could write it down for me, because I'm collecting as many memories of Mom and Clarence that I can get. So, he came up with this:

Grand Mother

Karen Atwood wasn't known by the world, however she was renown.
She wasn't even known by most in her mid size town.
I will always remember the last impression she made on me.
Though not even knowing I was watching her secretly.

Observing her as I was parked in a lot located at the Gateway Mall.
She was walking to her vehicle that was not too large yet not too small.
She was walking with her children still living at home.
They were gathered around her, as I sat in my vehicle alone.

The children were well behaved, helped her with loading the car.
The impressing thing about the scene was the love I sensed from afar.
Like a protective hen she gathered her children into the motorized thing.
I didn't know two months later that death would sear its mortal sting.

No, the world didn't know her or will it barely care.
But in lasting memory I will never forget what I saw there.
For I can truly say that I was her religious brother,
More impotantly, I can say she was a grand mother.

1 comment:

Michele said...

What a beautiful poem and tribute to your mom. Thanks for sharing.